Tuesday 9 August 2011

Wherein I get sentimental

It had always been my intention to write fundraising updates continually, alongside other news, yet somehow this plan failed to come to fruition. I granted actual fundraising precedence, reasoning I had plenty of time "at the end", as it were, to fill everybody in on what sort of stuff I'd been up to. It's sinking in only now that I don't really have much time left, so a more complete summary will come shortly. Until then, enjoy this much-abridged version!


Fundraising was the aspect of PT I was most apprehensive about. The thought of being entirely self-reliant for 12 months in a completely alien environment seemed somehow less daunting than the prospect of raising £4,950.

I began the task somewhat lurchingly, lulled into apathy by a very distant-sounding deadline. On Selection, Project had advised us to write to as many charitable trusts as possible, so this became Job One. For days I did nothing but compile a long list of trusts I sounded vaguely eligible for (and, in retrospect, some I'd clearly blindly stuck on the list in an attempt to feel vaguely productive: "Thank you for your letter, but since you are not a male training in carpentry we are unable to grant you a donation at this time."). The letters were sent out just before Christmas and, feeling bolstered by a sense of accomplishment, I stopped doing anything for a while.

Luckily, I was in school shortly after Christmas, and the support from everybody there - pupils and teachers alike - has been absolutely overwhelming. A huge "thank you!" is in order, so I'm going to do my best to be specific, since without UGS my total would be much, much lower.

(Also, teachers, if you're reading this, I promise I'm not trying to be a huge sycophant!)

Mrs. Kelting, my biology teacher, went to Zimbabwe with PT for her gap year, and has been a font of information and inspiration ever since I decided to sign up for my own. She's repeatedly calmed me down when I was worried about having to teach, has provided me with stickers and activities books for my future students, offered to lend me rucksacks/mozzie nets and has generally been amazing to talk to. Conversations with her also demonstrated that PT volunteers really are a little community, and, hopefully one I'll be a part of for life.

Mr. Ibbs, another biology teacher (noticing a theme here?) undertook the Bupa Great Manchester Run in May, and very kindly collected sponsorship money on my behalf. Having a vested interest in teaching overseas himself also meant he was able to relate to what I'll be doing, and I can't thank him enough for his help.
 
A huge thank you to Mr. Parker, and all members of school council who made the own clothes day possible - and allowed me to hijack somewhat the school's own fundraising efforts!

Finally, thank you to the actual pupils of UGS, who dutifully tolerated my constant Guyana-talk and generously donated to all events held. Hopefully I'll be able to give something back in the form of a school linkup, which, considering I'll have internet access and lots of bored dorms kids in Wakapoa, shouldn't prove too difficult to instigate.

(I also feel I should thank The Hes, just 'cause it'd be weird not to! Thank you, Hes, for always being interested and making time to chat to me about my plans. I'll take lots of photos of plants for you!)
 
At some point I'll post the break-down of my total for the sake of transparency, but until then I'd better get back to packing/repacking/panicking/eating my troubles away.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you've actaully gone!
    We are so proud of you darling but I'm going to miss you more than you can possibly imagine.
    Have an amazing year.
    Stay safe and be happy.
    All my love
    Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete