Wednesday 28 December 2011

Me na na wa teh call di post

As promised, an installment talking about more than food is here. It's still highly likely to be MOSTLY about food, though. And I'm well aware that at this stage you're probably all sick of reading this thing, so you're very welcome to, y'know, not.

Greetings from Tobago!... is a phrase that at one stage it seemed I'd be unable to say. All the PTVs flew from Georgetown to Trinidad, failed to transfer our luggage to the flight to Tobago thinking it would be done for us, and Dan and I (and only Dan and I) ended up missing two planes. We remedied the situation somewhat by eating ungodly amounts of airport chicken, but we were still mightily relieved to eventually step off the plane and onto the beautiful island of Tobago (or 'Tobags' as it's affectionately being called, in a not-at-all-annoying way).

We've been here since Friday, and enjoyed an actually-vaguely-OK Christmas dinner at 3am on Christmas Eve (apparently thirteen drunk 19-year-olds don't excel at militantly planning a complicated meal). Christmas Day was then spent on a boat tour of the island, punctuated by snorkelling over Buccoo Reef, lots of rum punch, and dancing around in the shallow waters of Nylon Pool, a waist-deep sandbar about a mile offshore. We surprised our guide by wining Guyanese style, rather than doing the dance we'd all favoured before spending four months in South America: The White Girl Shuffle (I do do a mean White Girl Shuffle, though)

Since Sunday we've not done much beyond wander up and down Pigeon Point, eat gyros, and swim, but that's exactly what we wanted. The last couple of weeks of term absolutely killed me. Having to plan and execute seven lessons a day for a mostly illiterate class with no resources other than chalk and a forced air of enthusiasm is draining at best, and makes you want to kill yourself and everyone else in the world ever at worst. This holiday has definitely achieved its purpose in that I feel refreshed and ready to head back to Wakapoa, but it's also been lovely to spend time with other people without having to affect my own bastardised brand of Creole in order to be understood. We did all note with amusement that we've picked up lots of Guyanese phrases, though, and I'm fully intending to irritate each and every one of you by using them back in the UK.

I've forgotten what I was going to say next. I'm sure it can't have been that important, though, since whatever it was was eclipsed entirely by a vague imagining of myself with locks (I've been told I'd suit them. I'm inclined to agree). It's almost time to begin cooking dinner, though, so I'd better go and at least show a willingness to help, then use my helpfully standing in the kitchen as an excuse to pick at whatever anyone is making. Excellent stuff.

I hope you all had amazing Christmases and enjoyed a more thoroughly-planned Christmas dinner than the affair we created. Also hope it snows all over your faces.

Lucy xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment